Skip to main content

President Buhari Outweighs His Stands On Boko Haram Over Chibok Girls

More Chibok Girls Will Regain Freedom – President Buhari Assures As Negotiations Continue


President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed optimism on the release of more of the kidnapped Chibok girls, after 21 of them were freed by Boko Haram, following more than two years of captivity.


Speaking at a joint press conference with the German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday in Berlin, President Buhari said negotiations will continue until all the girls secure their freedom.

“On the Chibok girls, we have been able to secure the release of 21 of them, so over 100 more are still in the hands of the terrorists somewhere in the Lake Chad Basin area which include Cameroon, Niger and Nigeria.

“In getting this 21 out, we hope we will get enough intelligence to go about securing the rest of them.

“We are very grateful to the UN for their participation in trying to secure the release of these girls.

“Please don’t forget that as a result of terrorism in Nigeria, no fewer than 37,000 Nigerians were killed by Boko Haram.

“Right now we have about two million people in IDP camps, 60 per cent of them are women and children and 60 per cent of those children are orphaned.

“This is a major challenge for government; we have to provide face infrastructure especially for education and health, take them back to their villages and towns and reintegrate them so that they can have normal life,’’ he said.

The President thanked the German government for their humanitarian assistance and support for Nigeria in dealing with the effects of terrorism.

Responding to a question on the BBC interview with his wife, Mrs Aisha Muhammadu Buhari, the President said his wife and the opposition needed to appreciate the depth of the problems he met on the ground.

He caused laughter at the press conference when he jokingly said: “I claim superior knowledge compared to her and the opposition,’’ referring to his three attempts at the polls to become President of Nigeria over a 12-year period, succeeding in the fourth attempt.

Garba Shehu
SSA to the President (Media and Publicity)
October 14, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biafra And The Events Of 1965 - 1970

How Yakubu Gowon Caused The Nigeria-Biafra War


The Acclaimed Umbrella Party Boss Will Destroy PDP – BOT

Unbridled Ambition Will Destroy PDP – BOT



The Board of Trustees (BOT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has warned that selfish ambition is destroying the party.
Chairman of the party BOT, Senator Walid Jubril, stated this while receiving the report of the reconciliation committee, led by the Bayelsa State governor, Seriake Dickson.
However Dickson had earlier cautioned the two factions, led by Senator Ali Modu Sheriff and Senator Ahmed Makarfi, to drop their ego and ambition for the unity of the party.
Much earlier yesterday, both factions of PDP led by Senator Ali Modu Sheriff and Senator Ahmed Makarfi, yesterday agreed to a cessation of inflammatory statements.
The agreement was reached under the supervision of the party’s reconciliation committee led by the Bayelsa State Governor, Hon Seriake Dickson in Abuja.
According to Senator Walid, he warned that “Selfish or personal ambition should never try to destroy this party.”

He further dismissed plans to form a new party …

Facebook forced to apologise for censoring burn victim's birthday photo

Former fireman lost his ears, hair, and eyebrows in an explosion in the Swedish city of Gothenburg 35 years ago


Facebook has had to apologise for removing a photograph of a formerfirefighterwith severe burn scars.
The social media site twice took down a picture of Lasse Gustavson after his friend Bjorn Lindeblad posted the photograph on Sunday to celebrate his 60th birthday.  The company only restored the image when more than 10,000 people shared a third post by Mr Lindeblad, criticising their “disgusting policy”. The post now has more than 30,000 shares.  READ  “It’s an offensive system Facebook has with this kind of censorship. You could call it a kind of racism,” said Mr Gustavson, who has no ears, hair or eyebrows, in an interview with Sweden’s Aftonbladet newspaper. Mr Gustavson was injured in an explosion at an oil depot in Gothenburg in 1981, when he was a 24-year-old firefighter. He spent two months in a coma in hospital and woke up permanently disfigured.  Since then, he has b…